Counterfeit wines are estimated to account for as much as five percent of the secondary market (Wine Spectator). For centuries, most wineries made little effort to make sure their wines could not be faked. But now, concerned that customers will lose confidence and stop buying, wineries are exploring ways to make sure future bottles can be authenticated. Unfortunately, even the most advanced RFID technologies cannot absolutely ensure that the product inside the bottle is genuine. New technologies that allow vintners, collectors, auction houses and law enforcement to easily validate the authenticity of their products are needed.
Applied DNA Solutions
SigNature DNA marks can provide the ultimate in forensic protection for all fine wines. By marking bottles, corks and/or labels, DNA can help to protect fine wines from counterfeits and diversion. SigNature® DNA uses the DNA from plants to mark and authenticate products in a unique manner that essentially cannot be copied. We create customized, unique SigNature DNA markers that are applied into an ink, or directly on the package or product itself. It will not alter the quality of the product, nor will it require major changes to the manufacturing process. Stable and persistent, virtually any item can be protected with SigNature DNA with an error frequency of less than 1 in a trillion.
The Power SigNature® DNA
- Secure, affordable and forensic
- Patented and proprietary
- Environmentally friendly, “green” technology based on botanical DNA
- Anti-Counterfeit protection: cannot be copied, viewed under a microscope, or re-engineered
- Forensic proof of authenticity
- Affordable and accessible applications
Nature’s Fingerprint Fine wine contains natural ingredients or materials that may leave traces or “fingerprints” that can be used to certify originality. Applied DNA Sciences offers wineries the chance to genotype their wines so that their DNA can be recorded for absolute authentication. This technique of BioMaterial Genotyping™ has the potential to genetically identify individual wine profiles, wineries, and wine regions, giving customers the certitude of science.
Like an archaeological dig, APDN is using the detective power of DNA to determine the original source material used in finished products. BioMaterial Genotyping™ uses the genomic DNA present in natural materials to:
- Authenticate originality and protect brands
- Assure quality at all stages of the logistic and supply chains
- Offer quality control and assurance to avoid mislabeling
- Enable Customs and Enforcement Agencies to authenticate products
- Enhance confidence in content and quality of products by all stakeholders in the logistic and supply chains
For additional information, please click here.